Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plastic Paradise: The Great Pacific Garbage Patch

I think it was Dino who posted about this a while ago or it could have been someone else, I don't know. I don't remember if it was on the old board or on this board either.

I'm watching the Doc on Pivot again from 2013 and just want to say that there needs to be something done about this problem created by us. We brought about this problem and we need to do something about it. We also have to find a way to curb our plastic consumption in the mean time to avoid this from happening again and again.

So, let's try to come up with solutions rather than argue about climate change. I know this thread will turn into a climate change debate even though this thread isn't about climate change. It's about the plastic floating out in the middle of the Pacific ocean and it's so freaking big that we really can't do anything about it, although I think we should try.

I know China won't do anything to help so we need the rest of the world to put pressure on them. I don't know how much of this trash should be blamed on the United States and China but I'm going to guess that is most likely 99% so, we are going to have to take on this responsibility.

Maybe a private company out there, an interprizing company looking to make money can find some use for all this plastic. Build a fleet of special boats that will pull this trash out of the ocean, shred it, deposit it onto barges, ship it to wherever and then do something useful with it or destroy it some how.

The estimates on the size of this thing vary from being the size of Texas to twice the size of Texas to the size of the United States. even by the smallest estimate, THAT'S A LOT OF PLASTIC! And it's hurting the sea life out there. If the oceans die, we will die and we can't allow that to happen.

Another idea and costly would be to shred this stuff, bundle it all up and launch it towards the sun where the sun can burn it up. I know that's not a good solution though.

So, what are your ideas on how to get rid of this stuff?

Messages In This Thread
Plastic Paradise: The Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Nebuchadnezzar - 06-02-2016, 02:13 PM