• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pete Prisco ranks NFL starting QBs
(06-06-2016, 02:16 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmm, he was:

about 9th in Comp %
21st in Yards
about 3rd in Avg
24th in Yards per Game
14th in TDs
25th in INTs (good to be low on the list here, obviously)
22nd in First Downs
18th in First Down %
6th in Longest TD pass
13th in 20+
8th in 40+
27th in Sacks (again, good to be low here)
2nd in Passer Rating

(I put about for the ones that were thrown off by guys throwing 1 pass for a big gain on a gadget play)

So, some of Dalton's stats are quite laudable, but I honestly can't say there would only be 4 QBs in the league most GMs would take over 12 and a fraction of starts by Dalton.  The guy was really good when he played, but not being available the entirety of the season he was lighting it up hurts.

http://www.footballdb.com/stats/stats.html?lg=NFL&yr=2015&type=reg&mode=P&conf=&limit=100&sort=passintpct

2nd in passer rating (arguably the most important stat, as it takes all stats into account)
2nd in Yards/Attempt
4th in TD%
8th best INT%
8th in completion % 
15th in Yards/Game (from his 12 complete games) 

I guess I can respect calling him out for missing games, but I feel that's irrelevant to judging how he performed on the field. There weren't 5 QBs who played better than Dalton last year. Keep in mind that some of the QBs that were better than him in some categories were probably far worse in others. Dalton was probably in a very exclusive club in ranking this highly in all the major categories.

It's a big reason why he was top 5 in most MVP discussions until he went down. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pete Prisco ranks NFL starting QBs - Shake n Blake - 06-06-2016, 12:21 PM