Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The hourly rate you need to afford a two-bedroom apartment in every state
(06-08-2016, 09:41 AM)Au165 Wrote: You can move outward short distances and see massive drops in housing costs. Back to my example, the are my brother was in was over inflated because of it being close to campus and being pushed up by the demand from the university. By moving 5-10 miles further away he was able to drop his rent by hundreds a month. This isn't just true there it applies in many places, but that was just a recent example I have been dealing with.

Normally 5-10 miles isn't going to make a big difference. Colleges are a little left of center because property owners know there's only so much land within walking/biking distance of the school, so they charge a premium. But, generally, if you're within 2 miles of a city center and you move out to 8 miles of the city center, you aren't going to see a huge difference. Generally, with larger cities, you aren't going to notice the difference until you get well outside public transportation... which brings in other costs.

In my area a lot of people commute 1-2 hours to Nashville. Mainly because it's cheaper to get a bigger house. But there really isn't a difference in the housing cost 10 minutes outside in places like Joelton than there is for getting a place on closer to town. Go 50 miles out and the prices start dropping. But what you save in rent/mortgage, you pay out in gas and mechanical upkeep.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The hourly rate you need to afford a two-bedroom apartment in every state - Benton - 06-08-2016, 10:23 AM