Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton tanked 3rd best QB against the blitz
I remember when the anti-Dalton crowd used to rip Andy for taking too many sacks in 2012. That was the year when Marv and Jay were pushing Andy to stop throwing it away (which he did a lot as a rookie), and make more "unscripted plays" ala Pig Ben. They weren't playing Dalton to his strengths, but he was still good outside of all the sacks.

Outside of that year, Dalton has always gotten rid of the ball quicker than almost anyone. When you compare his times with an average time, it's probably saving our line around a full second of pass blocking.

Not only does it keep the sacks down, it also keeps Dalton's fumble numbers down. Dalton has only fumbled around 4 times per season, which is great for a QB. Less sacks = less opportunities for opposing players to strip the ball out.

Some of the least talked about stats for QBs are sacks and fumbles. I think Dalton helps our offense greatly by throwing the ball quickly, not taking many sacks and not fumbling the ball. Nevermind how good he's been in every other facet of being a QB.

Now compare that with McC. He fumbled 4 times and was sacked 15 times in 5 starts. The fumbles were costly (one cost us a BYE) and the sacks stall drives. I'm not bashing McC, as many QBs fumble more than Dalton and take more sacks.

It's more praise for Dalton and part of his game that I don't think people appreciate as much as they should. I also think Dalton improved greatly last year against the blitz. It used to be a weakness, yet he thrived against it last year. It was a major step forward.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dalton tanked 3rd best QB against the blitz - Shake n Blake - 06-08-2016, 08:18 PM