Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EU countries not allowed to detain illegal migrants
(06-08-2016, 12:09 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Got to admit that I don't understand the whole EU thing. I thought it was a financial arrangement similar to our NAFTA. Am I to understand that they can makes laws that all countries must abide to?

So it's loosely modeled on the U.S. as it would have been if the anti-federalists had won outright. Think of the E.U. itself as the federal government and the member states being like our states in this country. The intention is to allow each state their own sovereignty within their borders, but for things that impact multiple states or borders between them, etc., that is handled by the E.U.

The problem with the E.U. is the same one that we have here, the central government has been increasing its own power and several of its member states are not too happy about it. The irony is that, as was already pointed out, this was created to prevent a massive European conflict from erupting again but could very well lead to their own version of our Civil War.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: EU countries not allowed to detain illegal migrants - Belsnickel - 06-09-2016, 09:37 AM