Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The hourly rate you need to afford a two-bedroom apartment in every state
(06-09-2016, 03:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: As soon as the minimum wage hike goes into effect all the people I know who moved out of our small hometown are going to quit our degree-requiring careers in Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Youngstown and swarm the 5 fast food joints in town.

But seriously, anyone who would willingly leave a skilled profession to flip burgers should probably vacate his post, anyways.

For some reason people keep thinking that between $10/hr-$15/hr there are a ton of skilled jobs. Yes, they require some skills but a lot of these, I'll refer to as "lower" skilled jobs, required more on job training than degrees. These people very possibly could leave to go work at "no" skill jobs for less stress and similar money. Also all minimum wage or "no" skill jobs aren't burger joint jobs as it has been painted in this thread. I think the problem is people are assuming either you are "No" Skilled labor or a degreed person without realizing there is a whole level in between that is really what will be affected.

Like I said though, I think a move to $10/hr is still low enough as to not push things too badly as that tends to be the top of the "No " skill positions and start of the "lower" skilled positions. If we start getting into the $15/Hr we start the top of the "no" skill and bottom of the degreed jobs. At that point you have a hard time justifying to people spending money on a degree going forward when people without make the same with no debt to start with. Before Fred comes in the with the upward career path argument, yes there may be more in the degreed path but for many the lack of student loans may trump that.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The hourly rate you need to afford a two-bedroom apartment in every state - Au165 - 06-09-2016, 03:47 PM