Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay marriage ruling about to come down
(06-28-2015, 08:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The shallow public just saw the word "Slavery" and lost their minds. He also used the example of prisoners in internment camps and nobody gave 2 damns about that. 

If you do not see see why Kennedy using the word dignity in his majority opinion would cause (make any difference) Thomas to bring it up in his dissent, then I have to question if you understand the meaning of a dissent.

I have spent many hours on this very board with folks instructing me about how the  Constitution does not "give" you anything. Now when Thomas agrees in his dissent of Kennedy's love letter (aka Majority Opinion); folks execute a 180.

What was your opinion of Kennedy's Majority Opinion?

Well, I dislike the part about the internment camps as well. But since the only person I know that is really tied to all of that is George Takei, and his opinion would be unabashedly biased in this instance, I'm not wading into that.

As for the part about Kennedy bringing it up, the reason I find it irrelevant is because Thomas bringing up dignity in and of itself is not the issue being discussed. That is why I fail to see why it makes a difference to this argument.

The Constitution does not grant rights, it lays a framework for the government and lists the rights the government must not infringe upon.

My opinion of Kennedy's opinion was that there was too much, for lack of a better word, fluff. I don't read enough opinions to know what the norm is but it strayed away from the legal side of things and into the realm of "I am writing this because it is going to make the history books and I need to make it good."

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gay marriage ruling about to come down - Belsnickel - 06-29-2015, 08:38 AM