Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chewbacca mom accused of white privilege
(06-17-2016, 01:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hopefully, I get time to look at that one and check out the peer-reviews. I was talking more about one that discriminated based solely on "black-sounding" names.

Well, I didn't go over the methodology section with a fine toothed comb, but if they are talking applicants and not interviews then they probably either used black-sounding names or the demographic identifiers section of the application to note the race of the "applicants."  Either way, the conclusion is that there is significant difference between the call-back rate for identical resumes that only differ in what race the "applicant" projects.

Of course, a single study can't prove or disprove anything, but I thought this would be more substantial than just giving a "yea" or "nay" in regards to the existence of racial bias.

There have also been studies done on the rate at which subjects deem faces/people of differing races to be "armed" or "hostile" and so on. This stuff has been looked at fairly extensively within the realm of social psychology, but I have to admit I was in school from 2000-2006 so I can't speak to what's gone on since. The short of it is that people of both races are slower to deem blacks safe and faster to deem them hostile, if I recall correctly.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Chewbacca mom accused of white privilege - Nately120 - 06-17-2016, 01:34 PM