Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chewbacca mom accused of white privilege
(06-18-2016, 05:31 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I'm aware of the studies ("black sounding" names, not "marked" from black applicants)....and my point was maybe it's just that the name is a signal that you come from poor and stupid parents - we are, after all, a product of hereditary and environment.  

But then the problem is it's no longer racism but a rational filter.  One that you can't control, but blaming racism rather than your parents is easier to accept.

Same thing with colleges.  With entry-level positions, the FIRST place I look on a resume is college and GPA.  A perfectly acceptable filter, however this is also "unfair" so we blame elitism rather than our choices/abilities.

What a horrible idea.

The GPA reflects either an ability to give the teacher what they want or you took enough easy classes to bump up your grades.

My senior year of college I had my highest GPA for the entire four years...all while taking 18 credits.  Mainly because 12 of those credits were with my my adviser as independent studies just to fill out my class load.

Back to the main point why would someone's name mean anything about their ability?

If that isn't prejudices I'm not sure what is.

Especially when you say:

Quote: that the name is a signal that you come from poor and stupid parents

No wonder we can't get anywhere in this country with such small minded ideas coming from people who do hiring.

Not what I would have expected from the likes of you.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Chewbacca mom accused of white privilege - GMDino - 06-18-2016, 05:42 PM