Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chewbacca mom accused of white privilege
(06-18-2016, 05:31 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I'm aware of the studies ("black sounding" names, not "marked" from black applicants)....and my point was maybe it's just that the name is a signal that you come from poor and stupid parents - we are, after all, a product of hereditary and environment.  

But then the problem is it's no longer racism but a rational filter.  One that you can't control, but blaming racism rather than your parents is easier to accept.

Same thing with colleges.  With entry-level positions, the FIRST place I look on a resume is college and GPA.  A perfectly acceptable filter, however this is also "unfair" so we blame elitism rather than our choices/abilities.

Meh, my last name is obviously Italian and my first name is "Nathan" so guess the education levels of my parents.  Also, I can tell you my GPA if you like.

I feel like there are some rough cases out there because I grew up with a lot of people who have ethnic last names that are pretty telling, and most of us have biblical first names. I guess I'm just saying that I know a lot of Mark, Matt, John, Joe, Bills etc. and I wouldn't wager our GPA's and intelligence levels all hover around the same area. My generation was just full of boring-ass names. Good luck trying to figure out which of the 1,000 Jessica's is more qualified than the Candy who applied (for a job that doesn't involve stripping, I assume).

EDIT: All of this talk makes me feel like people just have this sort of "I'd handle adversity better than you IF it were affecting me" hero bs. It reminds me of the 2010 NFL season when the Bengals were god awful and 4-12 and the Steelers were about the play in the Super Bowl and one of my friends who is a Steelers fan said "If MY team were the one that was 4-12 I'd handle it better than you do."

Oh, how convenient. The fan of the good team not only has a better team than I do, but if he didn't he'd be a better loser too. I may be winning right now, but I figured I'd also take this time to chide the losers out there for losing. I'm sure if Donald Trump had been born in the Detroit slums as a black guy named Tyrone Jenkins he'd still be on the 2016 GOP ticket, right?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Chewbacca mom accused of white privilege - Nately120 - 06-19-2016, 01:06 AM