Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
transcript redactions from Orlando shooting
(06-23-2016, 01:34 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So what then pushes this person with a mental illness to target that specific group? Homophobic messages reinforced by homophobes. I'm not sure why we can't acknowledge the hostile environment gay people live in. It doesn't cheapen the fact that mental illness is also a problem that exists in our society. It also doesn't change the fact that terrorism is an issue we must confront.

What pushes the person is an excuse, or maybe better stated, a symptom of the actual cause. I acknowledge the hostile environment. I know it's there. Point is, it's too easy, and doesn't get to the issue of the mental illness, to blame X. 

It's like treating skin lesions that are caused by cancer or HIV. There's a point to it, but it's not the cause of the lesions. 

Blanket "terrorism" isn't quite so easy. Certainly, it needs to be confronted but all terrorism isn't committed for one fact. Sometimes it's "because of gays", sometimes it's "because you bombed/occupy my country", sometimes it's "because so and so is imprisoned", sometimes it's "because you don't believe what i believe". 

And there is something in there where the driving force is an ideology. Sometimes that's due to a mental illness, sometimes that's due to...for lack of a better term...brainwashing (perversion fits in there too). 

Religion is blamed because of the atrocity, and the amount of it. To me, it's just an easy excuse. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."

Messages In This Thread
RE: transcript redactions from Orlando shooting - rfaulk34 - 06-23-2016, 02:25 PM