Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
transcript redactions from Orlando shooting
(06-23-2016, 07:22 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: A few things (bolded in order of things addressed):

1. Care to cite a source? I don't think the numbers slide one way or the other, but it's important to point out that there's been high profile cases where the Muslim community actively protected fugitives who were later responsible for attacks ( Brussles)

2. Why? A "Reformation" is just what Christianity and Judaism experienced far earlier. A "reformation" would just be the equliviant to Martin Luther, the enlightenment, and other advancements in thinking that western religions experienced while Islam remained as sheltered as an anti-social kid.

3. I don't see how this has anything to do with it. Is it hypocritical? Sure. But nations have allied with one another despite things like this forever. Plenty of ideas managed to evolved despite this.

1.  I will when I get a chance, and if I don't have any sources, I will retract the claim.  I'm still waiting on you to cite your source for another claim made earlier.

2.  A reformation is one that happens when a group feels a need for some organic change in their understanding of their religion.  The "reformation" is not needed to bring about change, as the terrorists are a very small minority of the religion.  If you ask the rest of the adherents, they will say, "this is not Islam".  IMO, this would be like Christians being asked to reform the KKK as it claims some Christian ideology within.  I don't know about the Jews, but the Christian reformation IIRC didn't occur because an outside group "forced" it to occur.  It occurred organically due to their own needs at the time.  Further, Islam doesn't have a central authority like the Roman Catholic church at the time of the Protestant movement.  Each country and culture interprets the Qur'an its own way.  Who is exactly reforming whom?   I don't see the feasibility of a reformation of 1.4 billion people spread on many continents, but if this happens, great.  

3.  When we have allied ourselves with repressive regimes, we are holding back the people in these countries from becoming free societies.  And it affects the situation even more because Saudi Arabia, while repressive and closed, exports its Wahhabi ideology outside of its borders, because it has the funding to do so.  Most of the western evolution came outside of Christianity due to open and free governments.  This is what is needed for the Islamic world.  Not a forced reformation from the west, but a true cultural change due to free expression of ideas.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: transcript redactions from Orlando shooting - masterpanthera_t - 06-23-2016, 08:43 PM