Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Justices spar over the constitutionality of the death penalty
(06-30-2015, 01:45 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Thought that I'd put this out there. It doesn't necessarily support either side of the argument.  

Christians have a slightly higher approval rate of capital punishment than non-Christians.  I actually expected a bigger gap there.  I imagine that the difference has a lot to do with the fact that religious folk have a higher likelihood of conservative opinions than the non-religious.  Or is the religion influencing the politics?  Meh.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/14050/who-supports-death-penalty.aspx

Interesting for sure... To add to this... Yours was 2004. I found a 2014 ... Here : http://deathpenaltyinfo.org/national-polls-and-studies

Quote: Barna Group (1/2014): Support for Death Penalty Low Among Christians, Particularly Younger Members

A new poll by the Barna Group found that only 40% of practicing Christians supported the death penalty, and support was even lower among younger Christians. According to the poll released on January 17, only 23% of practicing Christian "millennials" (i.e., those born between 1980 and 2000) agreed with the statement: "The government should have the option to execute the worst criminals." Without regard to their regular practice of their faith, only 42% of Christian baby boomers (born between 1946 and 1964) and only 32% of millennials agreed with the use of the death penalty. Roxanne Stone, the vice president of publishing at Barna, said, "This parallels a growing trend in the pro-life conversation among Christians to include torture and the death penalty as well as abortion. For many younger Christians, the death penalty is not a political dividing point but a human rights issue."

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Justices spar over the constitutionality of the death penalty - StLucieBengal - 06-30-2015, 03:30 AM