Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Self-professed "gun nut" on gun control
(07-03-2016, 10:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It is crazy to oppose good laws just because you think there will later be bad laws.

I wish that were true.  In this instance it is not.  Every law is a step further towards the real goal and the mask has really slipped of late.  I've made this analogy before, but the anti-gun and anti-abortion politicians have the same objective and they go about it in the same way.  The ultimate goal is to eliminate the practice they oppose.  Now, if you wanted to make a constitutional amendment that had universal background checks and an owners registry but at the same time absolutely prohibited further restrictions I'd be all for it.

Quote:There is no other way to describe that type pf thinking than "overly paranoid and prone to hysterics".

Sure there is, you just prefer not to use them.

Quote:The only logical thing to do is support good laws and oppose bad laws.

Which, again, would be fine if the bad laws weren't built on the backs of the "good ones".  When the Dem candidate for president openly states that the Australian model of gun control is "something we should look into" any logical gun owner wouldn't trust a single proposed gun law originating from that person.

(07-03-2016, 11:00 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The framers believed in laws.  They were not anarchists.

Agreed.  Although I wonder why you felt the need to point that out since no claim was made that they where.  They were a mix of distrusting of central governing power and distrusting the electorate, hence the electoral college. 

Quote:And our lack of gun control and regulation is a big problem.

It becomes less of a problem every year while at the same time gun ownership increases.  That seems like a corollary that goes against the popular thinking of the day does it not?

Quote: All people who can get guns right now are not "acting like adults", so we need to limit gunownership to those who have proven that they can.

We already have laws in the books to address that very issue.  As you clearly feel these are inadequate would you care to explain what we don't have that we need?

Quote:Right now it is perfectly legal for a private seller to sell a gun to a convicted killer. 

I'm not familiar enough with the laws of every state to say this definitively, but I do not believe that you can knowingly sell a firearm to a convicted felon in any state.  

Messages In This Thread
RE: Self-professed "gun nut" on gun control - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 07-03-2016, 02:10 PM