Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Self-professed "gun nut" on gun control
(07-03-2016, 12:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Oh I agree, I just like to argue mindsets rather than policy.  A guy I worked with was telling me he had a .44 magnum specifically for home defense and when I told him that didn't seem like a good idea he just assumed I had an issue with him owning a gun at all.  I tried to explain that discharging a gun capable of firing through entire houses could do more harm than good in such a situation, but he was too busy getting a Rambo-boner over splattering a fictitious invader's guts all over the ceiling and walls to listen.

Over penetration is an issue with any home defense option and most people are not educated enough about guns to know this.  Modern homes have drywall so thin any round that misses a body is going through it unless you hit a stud.  I've had many people ask me for advice o this issue and I always steer them to a .380 or, at most, a 9mm with quality JHP rounds.  The ammunition used is almost more important than the caliber.  This is why the gang banging idiots get shot ten times and live because none of those morons knows the difference between a FMJ and JHP round.  A .44, even special, is an exceedingly poor choice for home defense.  Over penetration aside, it's too much gun for most people to handle properly.  Additionally, and almost no one takes this into account, you'll be firing it without ear protection in a home defense setting.  Say good bye to your hearing for a day or two.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Self-professed "gun nut" on gun control - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 07-03-2016, 02:19 PM