Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GOOD NEWS, EVERYONE !! (Ozone Layer)
(07-02-2016, 06:26 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I have a headache and don't think I could handle going through the data, so I have to ask...
Do you see data in the activity logs and your Ozone hole data that line up and suggest that the hole is directly related to that specific volcano's level of activity ?

I would not draw that conclusion.  It is possible.  It is very rare to be able to make definitive statements about Geoscience, which is what always amuses me and makes me skeptical of definitive statements from Atmospheric scientists, who are always wrong more than 5 days into the future.

Geoscience works this way
#1 - Make Observations
#2 - Support the reasoning behind the observations if they are not clear to everyone else
#3 - Draw multiple possible conclusions based upon the observations
#4 - Support the conclusion which best supports the observations
#5 - Discuss why you do not believe the other conclusion you are not supporting

This is basic Geo-scientific Method.  With that said, I will make the following observations concerning your question above:
#1 - The part I originally quoted, suggested a Chilean Volcano contributed to the spike in the LARGE size of the OH in 2015.
#2 - Clearly they feel volcanoes can make significant atmospheric contribution to affect the the OH.
#3 - Mount Erebus resides in Antartica, and is within if not directly underneath the OH.
#4 - Mt. Erebus has been erupting continuously since 1972
#5 - Mt. Erebus had a major eruption in 2015
#6 - Mt. Erebus makes a significant contribution to the entirety of the Antarctic atmosphere based upon the study of snow chemistry across the continent and matching it to Mt. Erebus emissions - http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/97JB00155/abstract
#7 - Mt. Erebus emits significant amounts of SO2, HCL and HF which all destroy Ozone - http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/97JB00155/abstract

Conclusion based upon the observations:
It's possible that Mt. Erebus is responsible for the hole in the Ozone over the antarctic and not caused by human influences.  However, it is likely a combination of both.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: GOOD NEWS, EVERYONE !! (Ozone Layer) - Stewy - 07-03-2016, 05:46 PM