Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red's sign Top 5 international star
(07-03-2016, 11:30 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Yea, the article I read said that he would be considered a 3rd to 6th round pick in the average MLB draft

And futher more, we apparently spent over our international bonus pool for the year (whatever the **** that means) and we'll now suffer some pretty hefty penalties and taxes for it.

I hope he's worth it. Because it appears as though this will hamstring their international presence which, for whatever reason, has been very strong for quite a few years.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/reds-pay-costly-price-alfredo-rodriguez/#jBFRtj2vlRvFGkuP.97

The CBA lays out penalties for teams that exceed their allotted bonus pool amounts:
  • 0-5% overage: MLB taxes the overage at a 100% rate.
  • 5-10% overage: (1) MLB taxes the overage at a 100% rate. (2) The offending club loses the right to sign any player to a bonus exceeding $500,000 during the following international signing period.
  • 10-15% overage: (1) MLB taxes the overage at a 100% rate. (2) The offending club loses the right to sign any player to a bonus exceeding $300,000 during the following international signing period.
  • 15%+ overage: (1) MLB taxes the overage at a 100% rate. (2) The offending club loses the right to sign any player to a bonus exceeding $300,000 during the following two international signing periods.
    If a club violates this rule and acquires more than 50% of its initial bonus pool total, MLB will reduce its initial bonus pool allocation to 150%. So if a club that was initially assigned a $2 million bonus pool acquired $2 million more in bonus pool money, MLB would reduce that club’s bonus pool by $1 million, leaving it with a $3 million bonus pool. (This paragraph was edited on February 18, 2016-CE)
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Red's sign Top 5 international star - Hoofhearted - 07-05-2016, 10:02 AM