Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swiss deny citizenship to Muslim girls who balked at swimming with boys
Swiss culture and especially history, being different than the U.S., I don't have a problem with their not granting citizenship rights based on what they feel is best for their society. The fact that these families have been given residency privileges is sufficient IMO. The reasons for rejecting seem very minor (maybe because they're not allowing certain exemptions on religious grounds, especially due to things that don't seem to be very serious to me to begin with), but, again if they are enforcing these rules "equally" and with discretion in "good faith", then I can only say that they are doing things which are right for their country and they have no obligation to take a foreign culture into account. Because U.S history and culture is different I don't think we could do the same thing here, on such minor reasons, unless we can clearly show that it's an existential threat to our principles and/or country. And by that I mean constitutional principles. With freedom of religion being a right here, this wouldn't stand up in America.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Swiss deny citizenship to Muslim girls who balked at swimming with boys - masterpanthera_t - 07-05-2016, 11:36 AM