Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Justices spar over the constitutionality of the death penalty
(06-30-2015, 02:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have no high horse. I was just taken back by someone that states they follow the New Testiment mocking its words.

You are correct in your assertion; however, what comes to mind when someone in the United States says believers and non-believers?

Good point on part 1.

What comes to mind when someone in the US says believers and non-believers comes down to the amount of scrutiny one wishes to place upon religious membership.  Sure, Christianity holds the majority, but I'm also of the cynical mindset that removing the "we like Jesus" umbrella exposes the vast number of sects and disagreements within the friendly, majority-laden construct.

This isn't specifically directed at you, but I think people are so used to it being "Christianity vs. Nothing" is what leads people who consider themselves faithful to overlook the fact that atheists and strict Christians both share a lot of disbelief in religion in the grand scheme of things. I'll admit to playing devil's advocate in my original post, but I'm only a strict non-believer in the case of accepting the premise that the only religion/system/code where belief is relevant (in this conversation, or any) is Christianity.

Personally, I'm more unconcerned with religion BUT I'll admit I'm the least concerned with Christianity, so there is my USA bias going the other way, eh?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Justices spar over the constitutionality of the death penalty - Nately120 - 06-30-2015, 02:47 PM