Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black GOP Senator Talks About Being Pulled Over By Police 7 Times In One Year
(07-14-2016, 12:57 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: This is very interesting because it runs counter to something a lot of people like to say with regards to racism, and that is the prejudice is more about socioeconomic status than race. Which, to an extent, I absolutely agree with. But things like this show that it definitely is not just that. There is racial prejudice like this out there that we need to get sorted.

Lower socioeconomic status breeds crime. This is true. Some minorities are more likely to be a part of a lower socioeconomic group. So if I am going to discriminate, I am going to assume that a minority is more likely to commit a crime. 

The disconnect between socioeconomic status and minority status then occurs, and you're discriminating on the basis of their minority status under the assumption that minority status breeds the criminal element. 

Anecdote time. My friends and I have a group chat and we were discussing this whole race and police situation. My friend who is a middle class black man who works in education worries about what will happen if he is pulled over. He's not a criminal, he lives in a good area, he works with schools and camps, and he has friends who are cops. He still worries. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Black GOP Senator Talks About Being Pulled Over By Police 7 Times In One Year - BmorePat87 - 07-14-2016, 01:19 PM