Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voting systems and the idea of a new constitution
(07-18-2016, 12:05 PM)McC Wrote: A new Constitution?  Seriously?  You would unleash the crooks and morons in Congress on a new Constitution?   Yikes.  
the short sightedness of this idea is appalling.

You and your children and your children's children had better pray they don't ever get their hands on it.  

What on earth would you want a Constitution to do that ours doesn't?  

Man, there is such a pervasive attitude in our society now that if something isn't new, it's bad.

The document is fine.  That's not what's broken.   Empty both Houses and start over.  That's where the problem is.

The first thing you have to do is step back from the knee jerk reaction. There are plenty of things a new constitution could be good for and plenty it wouldn't fix. I am not sure much would ever get done however because many like McC here would take the very thought as an insult. While you point out the "pervasive" attitude that if something isn't new it's bad, one could counter with the other attitude that because it's always been that way it's the best way. Neither are right in every situation which is why everything should be analyzed thoroughly before any decisions are made.

I do think that the current way our representation is compiled today is broken. I think we should look more at what it means to be a representative. I believe that all political offices should have far lower salaries. I believe that if it is truly about serving your country then it shouldn't be a career merely a service you do in an effort to server your country (like military). That would also mean a limit to service in any single position, what that number is IDK, but people who work in politics more than real jobs are not representative of the people they are there to represent. The politicians should truly be representative of people who live and WORK in the world they govern.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Voting Systems - McC - 07-18-2016, 12:05 PM
RE: Voting Systems - Au165 - 07-18-2016, 12:21 PM
RE: Voting Systems - McC - 07-18-2016, 12:35 PM
RE: Voting Systems - Belsnickel - 07-18-2016, 12:09 PM
RE: Voting Systems - McC - 07-18-2016, 12:11 PM
RE: Voting Systems - Belsnickel - 07-18-2016, 12:20 PM
RE: Voting Systems - McC - 07-18-2016, 12:31 PM
RE: Voting Systems - Belsnickel - 07-18-2016, 12:44 PM
RE: Voting Systems - McC - 07-18-2016, 12:46 PM
RE: Voting Systems - Belsnickel - 07-18-2016, 12:47 PM
RE: Voting Systems - McC - 07-18-2016, 12:48 PM