Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leslie Jones, under hateful barrage on Twitter, fights back
(07-20-2016, 11:40 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Twitter is more than entitled to censor what they want.  That being said it is odd to me that these kind of things are, rightfully, censored but many tweets about the "pigs" deserving what they got after Dallas and Baton Rouge are not.  To me either be consistent with your censoring or don't censor at all.  Considering you can block or mute people at will I don't see the need for twitter to censor anyone except criminal organizations like Isis.

I get that. There is just a ton of hate on there and it is so ridiculous. I've seen so many public figures get pummeled with hate and leave Twitter. I've seen some extremely concerning stuff on there from people of all walks of life. It's one reason why I am so selective with who I follow on my main account because I really just don't want to see that. It's pretty insane.

(07-20-2016, 11:43 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I find myself conflicted. On the one hand, I liked Jones in GB2016. She was, IMO, the funniest of the 4. I understand the hate the movie got. I can't say it's completely unfounded, HOWEVER, that's no excuse to harass the actors/actresses that took part unless it was their fault the movie bombed. I mean, it'd be like digitally crucifying the guy that played Jar Jar Binks for the prequel trilogy when the guy that's to blame is George effing Lucas!

On the other hand, this is the internet. You should know that if you participate in anything online, you're opening yourself up to trolls and the more famous you are, the more likely to be harassed you are (and not all of it will be negative harassment). If you can't handle that, then stay away from the internet.

With that said, Twitter should have in place, SOME form of effective anti-harassment procedure, where if a user is bombarded by thousands/millions of negative and derogatory messages, there is a way to block/report them all quickly and easily instead of doing it one-at-a-time.

This comes back to what I mentioned before, this was her first big movie. People in movies for a while have learned over time to ignore the hate because it is what it is. But she's still new to the game of Hollywood. It's just so unfortunate how this all played out.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Leslie Jones, under hateful barrage on Twitter, fights back - Belsnickel - 07-20-2016, 12:05 PM