Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jon Stewart's rant on conservatives who support Trump
(07-22-2016, 10:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: First off, I get kind of perplexed talking race with you, because it's a moving target. Secondly, I  think the birther movement was a whole lot more motivated by name than by race. 

it's because when I say "race is a social construct" you probably read it as me saying "race doesn't exist". Race is an idea that we created as a society, not one that is based on our genetics, and we have thrown people into groups and called them "races". We can still discuss how it impacts society because people still emphasis someone's race, despite science tells us that these differences aren't genetically significant. Discussing the fact that people treat Obama differently because he is black is far different than saying that Asian people are born smarter. 

As for the name thing, that certainly played a role. Whether or not it played a bigger role than his skin color is of course further speculation on my own speculation. I wonder how he would have been treated if his name was Barry O'Donnell.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jon Stewart's rant on conservatives who support Trump - BmorePat87 - 07-23-2016, 01:07 AM