Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current Pet Peve (Angrily shakes middle aged fist)
So, let me preface what I'm about to complain and yammer about with saying that this thread is probably 75% boredom and 25% actual annoyance/anger.

Is everybody familiar with the term "throw shade"? (I'm assuming most of you are or that you have at least heard it)

Now, I do think this is particularly annoying. But probably more so because of it's overuse. As a 37 year old grown ass man, I get that as times goes by I'm going to experience more and more things I either don't get or don't care to understand. Or maybe that I think is plain stupid. And I get that when I was growing up in the 90's that people then, that were my current age, probably thought a lot of our slang was equally stupid. "Hit me up", or "late", or "tight" or whatever probably sounded to them just like "throw shade" does to me now.

The real issue I have is I see it everywhere. Many places I really, really, really think it shouldn't. I was reading an article on cincinnati.com, which for those that don't know is the online website for the Cincinnati Enquirer. A once pretty well respected newspaper. So I'm scrolling down the page and what headline do I see in the Politics section: "Ohio GOP Boss Throws Shade at DNC"

Are you kidding me, Enquirer? For Christ sakes, you're supposed to be a legitimate news sources, and this wasn't an Entertainment column or reader submission. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but it just seemed incredibly out of place.

But that's not all. I regrettably still use yahoo for an old email and usually click through the stories. The site is terrible but there's some stuff on there occasionally worth reading. It seems like every other article is "Beyonce throws shade", "Bryce Harper throws shade", "Mark Cuban" throws shade, etc.

I don't know, I know I'm rambling at this point and am always too wordy, but I hope I kinda decently explained my annoyance. It just seems so desperate in a way. Probably a slang term many who actually started it or used it, have moved on. And now it's probably just older, trying hard to stay hip, white people. A lot of women too. Have to stay current. Throw a few Baes in there, maybe a swag, and if you're over 30 then you'r probably a d-rocket.

Tldr: Keep the term "throw shade" out of my newspaper and tone this shat down. Oh, and stay off my God damn Lawn!
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Current Pet Peve (Angrily shakes middle aged fist) - Wes Mantooth - 07-26-2016, 01:10 AM