Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why should education be a state controlled issue?
(08-05-2016, 02:52 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: My sister just got her degree from Towson University and began teaching at Howard County Public Schools this past year. The state(?) is currently offering a student loan payoff program for new teachers if they go to work in Baltimore City Schools. One of her friends chose to do that and hates it. A couple of students got into a fight one and she had to physically separate them. The kids mom came in the next day screaming at her about laying hands on her kid and threatened to get a lawyer. Didn't even care that her son was assaulting another student. Parenting plays a huge part. Throwing money at a problem very rarely works, yet is often the go to solution. 
I worked directly with a heavily juvenile for around ten years prior to my recent promotion.  The parents of these kids are almost always ineffective (i.e. the kid runs everything), exculpatory (my kid is never wrong), doesn't care (doesn't care) or is actively involved in the kids delinquency.  I can't tell you how many people I've told that not addressing bad behavior is giving it a stamp of approval.  A few parents actually listen, their kids are much more likely to not end up in prison.  I have a lot of sympathy for teachers, they deal with these families from a position of deference.  I can't tell you how many times I've gone off on parents or kids in front of teachers and had the teacher later tell me how much they envied my ability to do so.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why should education be a state controlled issue? - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 08-05-2016, 02:59 PM