Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why should education be a state controlled issue?
(08-05-2016, 03:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Okay.  If we say the parents are the problem then what do we do to address this problem.

The parents are not the problem. The problem is more complicated than a single component to blame. My point in addressing the home life was to show how societal expectations had shifted....which is a larger component of the overall problem than most perceive. People want to blame the state, govt, the federal govt, property tax funding, teachers, curriculum, parents....when in reality it is a combination of all. But to me, a foundational problem is the expectations and motivation students have currently about education.  You simply cannot teach someone who does not want to learn and sees no value in doing so. I constantly fight the battle with my own daughter about how she has to take responsibility for her own education. That she is getting an education for her and to make her future better, not for us or her teachers or her friends or anyone else. But in families where education takes a back seat, you get under-performing kids....no matter how good the teachers, curriculum and school system are....plain and simple. We need to change our societal outlook on education to view it as important and something to be taken seriously and worked for, not something that is given to us.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why should education be a state controlled issue? - Beaker - 08-05-2016, 05:13 PM