Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan
A couple of things. Let me preface this by saying that while I like the systems in other countries with regards to tuition, it would not work well with our education system.

First, Millhouse, can you elaborate a bit on the whole $130k v. $125k and the costs being covered? I am just curious where you get that mindset from. It can vary greatly from state to state and school to school, but many need based programs rely on Pell eligibility which you can be disqualified from for much lower income than that.

Second, the claim that enrollment would skyrocket is a bit dubious. Enrollment would not skyrocket because admissions standards wouldn't change, especially not overnight. Even at community colleges you would have to have a massive infrastructure expansion to allow for any sort of increased enrollment, and of course many more instructors.

Our education system needs a serious look and just throwing free community college tuition out there doesn't really help anything. I'd just rather look at the actual issues.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan - Belsnickel - 08-09-2016, 08:46 PM