Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan
(08-10-2016, 10:31 AM)Beaker Wrote: That would be assuming that teachers only need to learn the curriculum to teach. In other words, you not only have to know the third grade material, you have to know third graders. Things like their psychological and social development, classroom management, effective teaching strategies, how to integrate technology into classrooms, how to create not only engaging individual lessons, but also how to connect the lessons to previous and future lessons, and how to connect the previous year's curriculum to next year's curriculum. And those are just some of the things that go beyond just knowing the third grade level material.

Secondly, the continuous calls for education improvement have resulted in a paradigm called "highly qualified teachers" which required a teacher to hold a license in the area that they teach. You no longer just hold a teaching license. In Ohio you can be licensed in k-3, 4-9, or 7-12. And once you get into 4-9 or 7-12 licensure, you have to declare and have studied ever more specialized curriculum. In 4-9 you have to choose two of english, social studies, math and science. So for instance you would hold a 4-9 licensure in math and science, or english and social studies, or any combination of the 4. Then when you get to 7-12, it even further specializes. For instance, mine is 7-12 life science.

On top of all that licensure nonsense, there is then renewal. In Ohio you are required to renew every 5 years. You can renew once with a 4 year degree. But to renew a second time, you must have earned a Masters of Education. Again, this is due to the public clamoring for more qualified teachers. So on the one hand you have to be better educated to teach because there is more to know than just the curriculum. Things that most people do not see or consider. And on the other hand, there is the movement for better qualified teachers.

Knowing what I now know. I think a two year degree is a little light. I think a Bachelor's in education is about the correct amount of education needed to be an effective teacher. I think requiring a Masters of Education is a bit of overkill.

It is not assuming a teacher only need to know the ciriculum. As contrary to a TV show adults already know more than a 5th grader. I approach this subject with apprehension as I do not wish to mitigate the knowledge required of a Teacher, even at the most elementary level. This is why I used my sister's progression as a Nurse as example. base qualifications should be required and continued study, certification would be mandatory to keep or increase your rating.

WTS, I will defer to the expert and if you assert 4 years of college is required; who am I to say differently.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan - bfine32 - 08-10-2016, 11:00 AM