Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Margus Hunt on improving/working with Greene
(08-10-2016, 08:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Go on youtube and watch some of his college tape.  He did not rely simply on a bullrush.  He has been injured at each point where he finally had an opportunity.  This is his year...if he can stay healthy.  I understand the desire for greater impact from a second rounder, but if he gets 7-9 sacks this year rotating at RDE and knocks down a few balls while playing DT (maybe tipping one for an INT), he will show the potential that they hoped for three years ago. 

Remember the Bengals don't hit on 100% of their picks.  No one does.  I won't kill the Bengals for taking a guy with his college tape, and the dreaded "upside".  Competition improves the breed, and MJ suddenly was a lot better at run defense,  put on about 20 lbs of muscle, and didn't want to come off the field.  

I don't believe he's been injured every year. A 2nd round pick doesn't need to make a great impact, but they do need to make an impact. Three years of near zero anything says a lot. He's never been IRed that I can remember, so the injuries weren't that bad.

In the NFL, when given his chance and gone up against 1st string OLs, he's done zippo.

I agree that there is potential there. But when you are drafting based on unrealized potential you are drafting a project. Teams spend top 1st round picks on potential, especially at QB.

I hope Hunt actually lives up to the potential he was drafted for. That's what this team needs. However, to have to wait till a players 4th year to get production from him is not the way to win championships. If all our draft picks took that long to show up we'd be almost as bad as the Browns.

To understand my draft bust comment realize that I also weight in that a higher producing player could have been drafted or even signed from elsewhere. Hunt has taken up a roster spot every year. Where could we have been if we'd have just signed Freeney a few years ago? It's not just what Hunt didn't do, but what another player could have done. That's what we lost in hanging on to him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Margus Hunt on improving/working with Greene - BengalChris - 08-10-2016, 08:12 PM