Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan
(08-11-2016, 05:48 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I know I talk a lot about Germany, but learning a language leads one to learn many things about the country and culture.

Anyway, first there is Grundschule, for ages 6-12. During this time, the teachers get to know the students and their abilities and send them on to (traditionally) one of three options:

Gymnasium - This will take them up until 18 or 19 and is preparatory for university. It is focused more on academics.

Realschule - This takes a student through about age 16 and is a broader focus. Oftentimes this will lead students to a professional degree (like business, nursing, etc.).

Hauptschule - This ends at around 15 or 16 and will often lead a student towards a trade.

Realschule and Hauptschule (and sometimes Gymnasium) students can also go on to a vocational school afterwards. To attend university, you must pass the Abitur, which is administered at the end of Gymnasium as it prepares you for it, but any student can take the exam.

It is more complex than this as there are other types of schools and combination schools and what not. But I have always thought this system was rather interesting and would be great. I don't think it would work in the US, though, because too many people want to believe their child can do anything. The American dream and all that. Also, parents are notoriously blind to their own child's limitations when it comes to education, at least from my experience.

Your telling me if I grew up in Germany my schooling from age 6 to 19 would have been nothing but gym class and than I move straight on up to college? Street ball, kickball, and dodge ball for days son!
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan - 6andcounting - 08-11-2016, 06:26 PM