Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why should education be a state controlled issue?
(08-12-2016, 11:21 AM)fredtoast Wrote: For whatever reason what teachers were doing was failing.  There have to be some way to judge their progress.  I just don't know a better way.

On the first sentence I contend that "failing" has much more to do with than just teachers. That's not to excuse bad teachers, only to say that there are more factors than simply the teachers that go into student success.

On the second sentence, I have put forth ideas in previous education threads that teacher evaluations should also consider a spectrum of factors, not simply standardized test scores. Without going into great detail, things unannounced and announced classroom observations, administrator "interviews" to go over methods and lesson planning, and even things like a panel of parents who could be involved in the evaluation process.

Evaluation based solely upon standardized testing is not fair for teachers since every year you have a different cohort of students come through, and some years the mix of kids is simply better performing than other years, for a myriad of reasons. A teacher getting a bad evaluation based upon a difficult group of kids one year is a little myopic.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why should education be a state controlled issue? - Beaker - 08-12-2016, 12:38 PM