Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why should education be a state controlled issue?
(08-12-2016, 12:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I never said anything like that.

All I said was that the way our education system worked for years was failing and something had to be done to hold teachers and/or school administrators accountable.

Here in Tennessee when they put a program in place to evaluate teachers based on classroom observations the teachers complained about that also.  It sure seems like teachers complain about every attempt to hold them accountable.

I agree that just memorizing facts does not help a  student, but these standardized tests also include reading comprehension.  And I don't care if a student can tell me what year WWII started, but I would hope they would be able to answer a multiple choice question about the issues that led to the conflict.  I am pretty sure those types of questions are included in these tests.

Your response to me saying you're repeating Kasich's mentality that teachers sit around and complain is to tell me anecdotal evidence about teachers complaining "about every attempt to hold them accountable". 

I can't speak to whether or not Tennessee's program is good and if the teachers have merit in their complaints. I can speak to the fact that education is more than just teachers. You're focusing solely on teachers (with the one reference to administrators too) as the cause for "failing". What about policy makers, students, or parents? Also, how do standardize tests effectively measure a teacher? How would YOU measure a teacher? I taught three regular level American government courses (with ESOL, IEPs, and 504s) and a self contained US History class for students who had both emotional and learning disabilities (we host the regional program in the county for emotional disabilities). Is using their scores on the state assessments to grade me fair if it is the same metric used for the teacher teaching all AP American Government or GT (gifted and Talented) US History?

You started this thread by suggesting that states are failing in education and that the federal government should take over because businesses need to know that a diploma from state A means the same as a diploma from state B. Let's ignore that this is the reason why states voluntarily created the CCSS. How will the federal government stop schools from failing? I asked in my first response what kind of federal control you were suggesting. I still want to know. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why should education be a state controlled issue? - BmorePat87 - 08-12-2016, 01:17 PM