Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why should education be a state controlled issue?
(08-12-2016, 03:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I find it hard to believe that parenting skills vary that much from state to state.  I think parnets are pretty much the same across the United States.

Parental involvement and philosophy is heavily influenced by ethnicity, education, and income, all things we know vary from state to state. 

Not to say it dictates it, but it influences it. A single mom who works nights and didn't go to college may be just as a good of a parent, if not better, than the married couple who both went to college and one is always home with the kids. 9 times out of 10, the kids of the latter will outperform the kids of the former. 

My county has more of the latter while the county that borders us to the south has more of the former. That's just once piece of the puzzle. The county to the south has more crowded schools, the average family income is about 35% less, and home values are lower, meaning they are less funded and pay teachers less. As a result, experienced teachers leave to go to my county, often leaving subpar teachers and administrators.

With more poverty and less people around them who went to college, students in the county to the south will be less likely to value education. 

Students, parents, teachers, administrators, funding, they all play a role. Either way you cut it, even if the federal government gets involved, you need locality specific programs to address the locality specific needs of students. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why should education be a state controlled issue? - BmorePat87 - 08-12-2016, 04:42 PM