Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Assisted Reproductive Technology
(08-12-2016, 06:34 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: It is kind of hard to imagine physically disabled people wanting to have a child not addressing their physical limitations, and doing what it takes to accommodate them well enough to believe that they should proceed. 

On the actual company providing ART, my first question is do they have counselors on staff to work with the applicants? I can see how this could get in the 'regulation' aspect, which I'm against. But to have something like this available just to serve as a buffer in case they saw a potential problem, which would allow all involved to discuss the consequences.

Like I asked before, which physical disabilities would disqualify a couple or individual from receiving ART?  What if only one one of the prospective parents is disabled?  What if they are disabled, but wealthy enough to afford to hire in home health care to aid in caring for a child?  What physical tasks are required to be a parent?  How will an ob/gyn surgeon specializing in ART determine a physically disabled person/couple can adequately care for a child physically?  Will they need to be referred for a Functional Capacity Exam?  What tests would need to be included in a FCE for parenting?  I've seen many individuals with a 100% disability rating from the VA who I know could raise a child. Would the government deny ART to them? Which genius government bureaucrat will determine all of this?  Will it be regulated nationally? Or will we have 50 different sets of standards that vary from state to state?

I'm in agreement with you the government shouldn't be involved. 

Messages In This Thread
Assisted Reproductive Technology - bfine32 - 08-12-2016, 01:06 PM
RE: Assisted Reproductive Technology - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 08-13-2016, 01:36 AM