Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Lewis: Tyler Boyd 'exceeded my expectations'
(08-13-2016, 12:59 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: After last night I'm even more excited about boyd. In fact, I'll throw Core and Erickson into this as well. I know it's just preseason and they're largely just playing backups but it was the little things. I think they all proved that the game isn't too big for them at this level. They ran solid routes, the timing was nice, and they didn't have the dropsies. That long pass that Boyd hauled in is one of the more difficult passes there is for a WR to catch. On top of the level of difficulty there is to catch that, he did it with a defender right on him, using great concentration. That shows me he is capable of those types of plays.

With Erickson of course the punt return was incredible and it's something we have been wanting a punt returner to do here for a long time, so that was great to see. But what also didn't go unnoticed by me was a simple slant route that he caught for about 4 yards. He hauled it in on third and three with contact and a defender draped all over him. Those are the things he has to do to make this team and in my opinion he has staked his claim on one of those WR spots, but he's gotta keep it up.

With core I liked that he seems reliable, he had one catch where he got a little YAC and seemed hard to bring down. And like the others he was sure-handed.

We need to see more because I know 1 preseason game a good NFL receiver does not make, but I am certainly encouraged but what I saw out of the youngsters last night.

I like Erickson a lot as well.  It makes you wonder if they won't keep an additional WR with one TE (Eifert?) possibly starting the season on the PUP.  More likely, they would put Luc on the roster as a true FB and have Hewitt play TE with Kroft and Uzomah.  

It will be interesting to see who makes the team behind AJ, Boyd, Lafell, and Core.  Tate has to be a favorite due to his return experience, but I would much rather see guys like Erickson and Alford get a shot.  Those two are competing for what is likely the same spot, however, backing up Boyd in the slot.  Maybe Alford will get snaps at "X"?  Whatever happens, it is a good problem to have.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Marvin Lewis: Tyler Boyd 'exceeded my expectations' - SHRacerX - 08-14-2016, 10:24 AM