Poll: Who Would You Rather Have as HC, Marv or Zim?
Marvin Lewis
Mike Zimmer
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Who Ya Got: Marvin Lewis or Mike Zimmer?
(08-14-2016, 08:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I really don't get giving Marv extra credit because the Bengals were bad from 91-02. As if turning around that is somehow more impressive than turning around some other random garbage team. The Bengals were only bad that long thanks to Mike Brown's patience/loyalty to terrible coaches like Shula and Coslet. Ironically, that same patience/loyalty is why Marvin still has a job with a goose-egg-for-seven playoff record.

Mike Brown's loyalty to those bad coaches shouldn't somehow be turned into another feather in Marv's cap. The team Marv took over was no worse than most other teams that are 4-12 or worse. You don't obtain a record that bad without poor ownership (or a poor GM) and some glaring lack of experienced talent. Usually at QB. Fortunately for Marv, he inherited a good QB that wasn't part of the previous decade of losing. Despite the Bengals' prior results, Marv inherited a decent sitch with the #1 overall pick and some young talent. Not to mention a guy by the name of Duke Tobin, who selected that young talent and deserves more credit than he receives for turning around the franchise.

I feel like some people only look at the previous results and fail to (or refuse to) onjectively look at the players and situation that Marv walked into. In addition to everything I've already mentioned (#1 pick, young talent, Tobin, etc), Marvin also got a Mike Brown that was finally ready and willing to cede some control over the team.

In summary, while I give Marv credit for his part in the turnaround, I also feel it was a cumulation of many things that led us out of that era, and many of those things (and players/coaches/personnel guys) aren't acknowledged or properly credited because some are too busy heaping all the credit/praise on Marvin. I guess that's why someone like me is just fine with moving on, because I realize that others who played a role in our current success will still be around. Whereas the folks who give 100% credit to Marv are scared to death of him leaving because, after all, he's 100% the reason why we're winning.

Agree,

I voted Zimmer, to be honest I don't have a lot of faith that anything is going to change this season if we are good/lucky enough to make the playoffs again.

ML had a part in the turn around, but as you say he wasn't alone. Things were already lining up.

If you take a good hard "truly objective" look at our playoff games they really maintain the same theme. Save a quarter or so here and there. You know the list - Dead offense in 2nd half with no visible adjustments, bad game plans with no ability to shift on the fly. Defense that has been gashed in the running game and produced little to no turnovers. You could go on and on.

That has little chance of changing IMHO. If he hasn't got it to the tune of 0-7 what makes anyone think this is the year ? If we do win a playoff game this year it will be because the players overcome the coaching.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who Ya Got: Marvin Lewis or Mike Zimmer? - bengalfan74 - 08-14-2016, 09:02 PM