Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birth control, abortion and unwanted pregnancies.
(08-16-2016, 10:33 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Once again you are talking current policy. I am pretty sure there are some states where the pharmacist can prescribe birth control pills. I thought the topic of the OP was to make such measures more available to minors. It appears, in typical fashion, that some have gotten wrapped around the axle by the suggestion that a school medical official could make these measures more available. 

Did you really just asked me what makes me think the policy would change with a policy change? But to answer the question: To make birth control more available to minor girls. 

I just don't understand why you think that medical professionals currently unable to prescribe drugs would suddenly be able to prescribe drugs. That sort of shift in the medical field goes far deeper than the idea of making contraceptives more accessible. That would be my issue with the logic you are putting on display, here. Especially when it comes to a school nurse who does not have access to medical records, family history, etc. There are many types of oral contraceptives on the market and some medical conditions or family history may be contraindications to being prescribed certain ones. So you're saying a health care professional that has no access to any of this information would suddenly be able to prescribe a medication?

(08-16-2016, 10:33 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Who do you suggest should be able to prescribe birth control (pills, IUDs, ect...) to minor girls without parental consent, that would make it easier for them to obtain?

Hadn't thought about it, mostly because I haven't advocated for teenagers to be on contraceptives without parental consent. I just chimed in on thsi because of the ridiculous assumption that school nurses would be able to prescribe anything.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Birth control, abortion and unwanted pregnancies. - Belsnickel - 08-16-2016, 11:18 AM