Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan
(08-16-2016, 11:39 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Well it is an Ohio State rival.  Perhaps I should turn them in. Ninja

It didn't seem like that should be the case, but the guy I know assures me that he gets that money, and it doesn't go toward offsetting some of his scholarship.  The kid just gets to pocket it.  Next time I see him, I will ask him some more about it.

So, I have learned today that this happens here, as well. Something must be configured in a certain way so that some of these athletes are receiving Pell, even though it isn't needed to pay their expenses. It's apparently very common. One of my employees handles both Pell and Athletics and she was filling me in on it.

Not going to lie, I'm considering writing to some people about this. I find it ridiculous that in an age when we are discussing the high amounts of debt that students are leaving college with that full scholarship individuals are also receiving Pell. There has to be some sort of loophole in all of that for this and it's ridiculous because that money could, and should, be given to students that need it more and aren't having all of their expenses and then some covered.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: thoughts on HRCs free college tuition/loan plan - Belsnickel - 08-17-2016, 12:29 PM