Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Assisted Reproductive Technology
(08-17-2016, 04:45 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's always been interesting to me the arbitrary ages that we place on things for consent. For instance, and I'm not sure if this is still the case here or the case anywhere other than Virginia, but for emergency medical services if a patient is 14 or older they can refuse treatment on their own consent and accept it even if the parent doesn't want it. However, if they are under 14 it is the decision of the parent/guardian. I don't know what requires consent at what age or anything beyond that, I just remember that from my training some 15 years ago.

There are just so many lines drawn in different places for different types of consent for different things that it is kind of a jumbled mess. And in the end it's hard to really justify most of them since the penultimate one is 18, yet an 18 year old really doesn't have much more sense than a 16 or 17 year old.

Just some random thoughts on this.

I agree with this. For instance what makes 21 the age you can drink? I also think different states have different ages for consentual sex. And as Dino keeps bringing up: Age of consent for abortion can vary. I read one I think where it was 16, ect... Why can consent laws/ ages vary from state to state; yet, we get upset when a state want to impose other restrictions?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
Assisted Reproductive Technology - bfine32 - 08-12-2016, 01:06 PM
RE: Assisted Reproductive Technology - bfine32 - 08-17-2016, 04:48 PM