Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For all who wish we kept Brown over Nugent...
(08-20-2016, 09:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No he isn't.

Just depends on how you set up your tiers.

This is an interesting angle you're taking in this thread. So Nugent isn't the absolute worst K in the league (which no one is even saying), so it's therefore understandable that the Bengals have retained his services for 7 years without so much as a hint of competition? Maybe I'm wrong, but is this your overall message?

And yes, I would consider an average ranking of 23rd in FG% to be closer to "bottom-tier" than "middle of the road". As would most people who aren't practicing their arguing skills and/or defending a poor decision by the team because no one else will.

(08-20-2016, 09:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This is where it gets silly.

Nuge has always been netter than kickers on other NFL teams.

So how is it that the bengals could have always done better" when all of these other teamsin the league could not.

This is exactly what I am talking about when i mention "extremeists" who don't know what they are talking about.  We have a guy who ha salways been better than several other kickers in the league yet they act like we could have just signed anyone and he would have been better than nugent.  That just is not true.

There has almost always been a kicker available - at some point of the year - via FA or the draft, that probably would've been an upgrade. Brown was better. Matt Prater would've been an upgrade a couple years ago. Kai Forbath or Garrett Hartley this year. Chris Boswell last year. I'm sure you'll probably try to single one of these guys out and nitpick some way that Nuge is better, but honestly there are kickers available - at some point - every single year that would (at least) arguably be an upgrade.

At some point, we should have tried to upgrade. The FO hasn't even made an effort. Nuge has had one of the safest jobs on the team, and he hasn't earned that security via performance. Can you admit that?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: For all who wish we kept Brown over Nugent... - Shake n Blake - 08-20-2016, 02:57 PM