Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For all who wish we kept Brown over Nugent...
Nobody answered my question so I went back and figured it out for myself.

Here is why we didn't resign Shayne Graham.

"In 2009, Graham went 23-of-28 in the regular season, his lowest percentage — 82.1 — in his Bengals career. In the Wild Card playoffs on January 9, 2010, Graham missed two field goals in the Bengals' 24–14 loss to the New York Jets, including a 28-yard attempt that would have cut the score to 24–17 late in the fourth quarter. After the game, Marvin Lewis commented on Graham's missed field goals stating "It is a shame, and it killed us. Unfortunately kicking is mostly a one-man operation. I know Shayne feels worse about it than anyone. Those points obviously make a big difference."

It's funny. Looking back on that game, I blame the entire offense. I have never seen an offense fail so bad. Looks like we took Graham as the scapegoat. Missing a 28 yarder in the playoffs will do that though.

Nugents percentage the last three years in comparison to Grahams Bengals Career low 82.1%

2015 - 82.1
2014 - 78.8
2013 - 81.8

So the question is, did we let go a of a good kicker because he faltered in the playoffs? Seems strange coming from a Marvin Lewis team... a franchise that never brings the hammer down on anyone for playoff failures.... the case of Shayne Graham is an interesting one to me.

(this isn't to say we should sign him now. I'm not an NFL special teams coach and don't know the status of Shaynes leg and how he is physically.)
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: For all who wish we kept Brown over Nugent... - GreenCornBengal - 08-20-2016, 08:10 PM