Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of Chicago to freshmen: We do not support ‘trigger warnings,’ ‘safe spaces
(08-25-2016, 02:54 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Depends on where you go. Some places have safe zones where it is seen as a haven for those who don't want to deal with anything controversial. Some places have a program called Safe Zone where members of the faculty and staff may be listed as a place a student can go to in order to discuss certain things. We have the program here where some of us are available on campus in case a LGBT student encounters discrimination or what not.

That seems kind of silly because you can probably find 1000 places on campus where nobody is discussing controversial issues at any one time.

As for the staff, I know my son's high school (Catholic) has designated their guidance offices as basically a safe zone for gay kids.  That makes sense to me.  You should be able to talk to a guidance counselor about something like that without being judged about it.  Not to say that a guidance counselor would judge, but it's probably reassuring to have it affirmed.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: University of Chicago to freshmen: We do not support ‘trigger warnings,’ ‘safe spaces - michaelsean - 08-25-2016, 03:47 PM