Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of Chicago to freshmen: We do not support ‘trigger warnings,’ ‘safe spaces
(08-25-2016, 03:47 PM)michaelsean Wrote: That seems kind of silly because you can probably find 1000 places on campus where nobody is discussing controversial issues at any one time.

Pretty much. It's just supposed to be this place where none of that can be brought in, or something. I don't know, we don't have any that I know of. We're a liberal arts university but we don't go to that extreme.

(08-25-2016, 03:47 PM)michaelsean Wrote: As for the staff, I know my son's high school (Catholic) has designated their guidance offices as basically a safe zone for gay kids.  That makes sense to me.  You should be able to talk to a guidance counselor about something like that without being judged about it.  Not to say that a guidance counselor would judge, but it's probably reassuring to have it affirmed.

Indeed. It can be helpful for students facing things to know they have allies on campus. Having various members of the staff around can make it easier to find us wherever on a pretty decently sized campus. We also have faculty/staff trained to deal with a number of other things like Title IX violations, substance abuse, etc.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: University of Chicago to freshmen: We do not support ‘trigger warnings,’ ‘safe spaces - Belsnickel - 08-25-2016, 04:52 PM