Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of Chicago to freshmen: We do not support ‘trigger warnings,’ ‘safe spaces
(08-25-2016, 12:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree with this principle, but would like to point out that there is nothing wrong with "trigger warnings" because they do not limit free speech or expression in any way.  All they do is warn people that they might be offended by something.  

They are no more dangerous than letting people know that certain movies or songs contain language that might be considered offensive by some people.

This. And there are always going to be those who try to hide hate rhetoric and just generally being an ass behind the shield of "academic freedom" and "intellectual challenge."

We put signs in bathrooms telling employees they have to wash their hands, and off course some still don't, so knowing that is the level we are at as a "culture" I don't see the big deal with putting up a sign that says, "Dingus McGee is testifying on the quad with megaphone again and if you don't want to hear him you may wish to take the long way around to your next class."
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.

Messages In This Thread
RE: University of Chicago to freshmen: We do not support ‘trigger warnings,’ ‘safe spaces - xxlt - 08-25-2016, 05:04 PM