Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
50 Heroin Overdoses In 2 Days In Cinci
(08-29-2016, 09:23 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: The reason they don't end up speaking to police is the fear of incarceration. That is why many users don't seek help because they fear they are just going to be thrown into jail/prison because that is what our system has a history of doing. The fear of it keeps them on the street and using, and actually doing it makes them harder criminals. I'm not going to sit here and say we need to just leave them be, but maybe taking a look at the mental health care they could use that could actually help them kick an addiction. Our current corrections infrastructure doesn't rehabilitate criminals at all, so why would throwing drug addicts into the mix be any different?

As for those driving while under the influence, they should face the same consequences as a drunk driver, same for any intoxicant. I would just rather see us actually getting people to kick the stuff rather than perpetuating the problem, which is what the war on drugs has been doing.

http://m.wlwt.com/news/what-happens-after-first-responders-save-heroin-users-from-overdoses/32605024

Its not that they are not talking to police. Its that police arent even there. And paramedics cant arrest someone.

Its crime and punishment. From my understanding there are places you can go and seek help without fear of arrest. Cops arent the ones you need to talk to if you seek treatment. Prison doesnt need to be a rehab center. It needs to be viewed as punishment. You screwed up. You got caught breaking the law now accept your punishment. 

Isnt there some psychology involved here? Negative outcomes lead to different decisions. Positive reinforcement leads to repeat behavior. Oh you made a fatal mistake... Well here we will bring you back to life , give you a clean needle for next time, and you can even go to this cool little room and shoot up so if you OD we will be right there to save you. And please have no fear of being punished. But hey drugs are bad. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 50 Heroin Overdoses In 2 Days In Cinci - NATI BENGALS - 08-29-2016, 02:41 PM