Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NATION WITH CRUMBLING BRIDGES AND ROADS EXCITED TO BUILD GIANT WALL
(08-30-2016, 04:22 PM)McC Wrote: Part of the unemployment system, at least in the state of Ohio, is the employment section.  Anyone receiving benefits is required to look for work.  Obviously, they don't check everyone but they do engage in random checks and if you get caught not following the rules, you are subject to loss of benefits.

In the application process, you are required to list jobs you can do or would be willing to train to do.  Therefore, if you are offered a job in your chosen field or one closely related, you have to take the job or lose your benefits.

If the gov't came calling with thousands of new jobs in the construction industry, ten times more people than the jobs available would show up to apply and they wouldn't care if it was in the desert or not.

Agreed.

(08-30-2016, 04:22 PM)McC Wrote: Also, these would not be minimum wage jobs.  Anyone who thinks that is clueless about the construction business.  Nobody in construction works for anywhere near minimum wage.  Unskilled labor on day one is making over $10/hr.

Also agreed. I hadn't gotten into that point but it was on my list of things to use further on.

(08-30-2016, 04:22 PM)McC Wrote: But this is all silly anyway.  No one is ever building a wall in front of Mexico.  Get real.

Maybe you missed this:
(08-30-2016, 02:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The discussion is not if the wall is a good or bad idea. That can has been kicked down the road plenty. The discussion is IF (I capalized it again) a wall is to be built; who could it be funded to save they tax payer a few bucks.

I don't think this is ever going to happen, but we're having the discussion with the assumption that it is going to happen. Hypothetical situation. It's also something that I can guarantee you with a 99.99999999999999999% certainty is happening in DC right now. When ideas are thrown out there like this, on the scale that Trump has done, even if it has zero chance of happening, there are people that take a look at the feasibility and figure out costs and where it would come from.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: NATION WITH CRUMBLING BRIDGES AND ROADS EXCITED TO BUILD GIANT WALL - Belsnickel - 08-30-2016, 04:55 PM