Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colin Kapernick benches self for National Anthem
(08-31-2016, 11:37 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I actually think a lot of people who think this ("Oh, they're looking at me like I'm about to steal something") are using their own perceptions and biases and misreading what's actually happening.

My wife does this a lot (she's white, BTW). She'll constantly tell me that so and so is looking at her like she's ugly or that she's dressed weird or that she's about to do something bad or what have you. A couple of times I've actually seen the person looking land I don't see the same look AT ALL. 

And another thing, when I first worked at a Super K-Mart, we were told that we were to constantly watch everyone in our department or area. Even if they told us they didn't need our help. Partially, yes, to keep them from stealing anything, but mostly to be there if and when they clearly needed assistance. 

I'm not saying that there aren't times where blacks may be correct in that they're being racially profiled and whatnot, but given my experiences with my wife and at Super K-Mart, I can't help but wonder if a large portion of people making that claim are completely misreading a situation and/or being biased themselves.
 While being stationed at Rock Island I remember going to a footlocker in a mall in Iowa.  Looked around and was confused as to the unusually small selection of shoes and brands. I asked a sales associate about a few popular shoes and they said.." We don't sell those here because it attracts THE WRONG CROWD". My mouth dropped and I never went back to that mall again.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Colin Kapernick benches self for National Anthem - Bmoreblitz - 08-31-2016, 12:40 PM