Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colin Kapernick benches self for National Anthem
(08-31-2016, 01:05 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: What did Boomer say that was so wrong?

The narrative that there is this huge problem with police outright murdering African-Americans is totally bullshit.  This entire us vs. them mentality is a much bigger problem.  One only made worse by the actions of those as stupid as Colin Kaepernick.

Has his display changed one person's mind?  Doubtful.  Has anyone, having now seen his act, not become aware of a problem that they didn't know existed prior to said display?  Again, doubtful.  I'd say all he's managed to do is to insert himself into a conversation that in no way needs or cares to have his input.

And boy oh boy, do I hate the word privilege.  If for no other reason than it's overuse.  It's like that one guy who start saying  a new word he learned way too often.  Like, I get it, Bill.  You went to a conference where they talked about synergy. Stop bringing it up in every meeting.  The idea that there is all of this inherit privilege that somehow precludes Boomer from sharing his opinion is comical.  Ironic even.

I'm just waiting for the hot takes on this one.  "Collin Kaerpernick is just voicing his opinion!!!  That his right as an American!"  Same person then goes on to blast Boomer for sharing his opinion, in a forum (talk radio) that specifically intending for sharing your opinion.  Because he's privileged?  Uh, what?

I'll keep this short because I know it's impossible to change people's minds in this discussion (God knows I've tried before).

The police's treatment of black people is not "totally bullshit." This isn't a narrative, it's a reality that a large portion of our country deals with a daily basis. I don't think the media is helping by shining a light on each individual case, but the individual cases have been occurring for decades.

In the past, institutional racism was easy to cover up, especially by the police. However, with the recent invention of smart phones with cameras capable of recording, it has been more difficult for them and stories are getting out and the truth is being revealed. Like I said, I don't care for the sensationalism, but I don't understand how people can see the stories that come out, hear the stories from their black friends and family (if they have any) and still deny its existence.

How were the actions of Colin Kaepernick stupid? He is doing something within his rights to bring attention to something that is on millions of people's minds every day. You could argue he is doing it because he needs attention or something like that, but the fact is people are standing with him. You don't get millions of people agreeing that something is a problem if it is fictional or "created by the media."

And I imagine you do hate the word privilege. It seems like people may have used it on you and it has hurt your feelings. But it is a privilege. Being white. Not having to think about racism. The ability to assume that the interactions you had with the police, with your co-workers, with your friends, with your bosses has nothing to do with your race. The ability to say, unequivocally, that you were treated with respect and in a manner that was not biased by the color of your skin. The ability to look at problems like being murdered by the police for not putting your hands behind your back and realizing that, yes, you will never have that problem. The ability to look at the problems of the minority communities and know that, even if you do nothing, your life will remain unaffected, even in the face of obvious injustice.

These are all privileges that white people have. I assume you're white, based on the way you feel about this issue. If you are, somehow, not white and feel this way then that's not only interesting but also kind of astounding. Someone should interview you in that case. But, like I said, I'm 99.9% sure you're white.

As for Boomer not having the right to share his opinion..well...I never said that. I don't know if you were referring to me or just the general response to something like what he said. All I'm saying is he is voicing his opinion on something that he has no experience in. 

And he said some awfully silly things in this article that only highlight the things that frustrate me about people who share his view. Saying "that it’s an embarrassment and it’s about as disrespectful as any athlete has ever been." I don't know if that was taken out of context but damn...if it wasn't, that's just ridiculous. Not standing during the National Anthem and then voicing a concern that millions of people share....is the most disrespectful an athlete has ever done? I can't even come up with a counter point to that statement because it's just so absurdly stupid. 

Then he goes on about how it feels to be a policeman but he doesn't know either. As if being afraid or being in a dangerous job is an excuse to murder people. The whole purpose of police training is to teach a person how to behave properly in dangerous situations when dealing with hostile, angry, confused or upset civilians. If they can't do that, they shouldn't be policemen. That excuse is just so ***** tired. 

And then the salary thing...I don't know what he is implying, but I definitely inferred that he thinks, because the government pays police very little, they somehow are compensated with the ability to end lives when they want to or when they feel someone is disobeying them (like, say, a person is running from them).

I just don't know why he felt the need to paint himself in this way. There's a reason that his black co-worker, Bart Scott, was apparently immediately correcting him as he was talking. Boomer is uninformed and spouting out right wing propaganda that seems to be straight from a Donald Trump speech. 

Like I said, I'm just glad they referenced him as a former Jets QB in this article. I would hate to see his words associated with Cincinnati in any way.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Boomer Esiason tellin' it like it is - CJD - 08-31-2016, 03:57 PM