Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only Two More Years Of Marv?
So I was perusing NFL.com when I noticed a headline "Lewis suggested Hue Jackson succeed him with Bengals in '18"

If you follow the link it takes you to this article, http://www.nfl.com/33weeks, a very elongated story behind Hue Jackson. I didn't read it, but I DID skim to the part about Marvin Lewis and the Bengals.

""I feel comfortable in Cincinnati," he'd told me during a middle-of-the-night phone call about nine hours before being offered the Browns' job. "They know me there. I love working with Marvin and Andy [Dalton, the Bengals' high-rated quarterback]. Staying makes a lot of sense."

A few hours later, when he and Lewis met with Bengals owner Mike Brown to lay out their successor-in-waiting scenario (which, per Lewis' suggestion, would have had Jackson replacing him following the 2017 season), Jackson was *fed up with the drama, eager to extricate himself from the emotional roller coaster and extremely open to remaining in Cincinnati. However, after talking it out with Brown and Lewis and shedding an ample amount of tears, Jackson became less excited about that scenario, partly because it began to sink in how much awkwardness could accompany such an arrangement. He returned to his office and, less than an hour later, received the fateful call from Haslam, eventually assuring the owner he was on board. Then, after a phone call to his wife and a frantic trip home to change into a suit and grab a cellphone charger, Jackson was literally on board Haslam's plane, his body and mind moving hundreds of miles per hour. "

*The bolded part is referring to something earlier in the article, NOT drama in Cincinnati, just so the reader is warned. It confused me at first too.

What interests me about this particular segment are two things.

1. Hue Jackson thought there would be awkwardness with such an arrangement? It doesn't seem awkward to me, but I'm not him. Found that part strange.

2. And this is the big one. Does this somewhat imply that Marvin plans to be done in 2018? Does he think we will win a Super Bowl by then? Is that his timeline? Is that the year he is calling it quits? Many interesting mountains to make out of these mole hills, but I thought they were worth discussing.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Only Two More Years Of Marv? - GreenCornBengal - 08-31-2016, 06:11 PM
RE: Only Two More Years Of Marv? - Pat5775 - 08-31-2016, 06:16 PM
RE: Only Two More Years Of Marv? - Sled21 - 09-01-2016, 08:53 AM
RE: Only Two More Years Of Marv? - Pat5775 - 09-01-2016, 04:25 AM
RE: Only Two More Years Of Marv? - Jpoore - 08-31-2016, 07:21 PM
RE: Only Two More Years Of Marv? - jason - 08-31-2016, 09:03 PM
RE: Only Two More Years Of Marv? - Derrick - 09-01-2016, 12:31 AM
RE: Only Two More Years Of Marv? - Gohards - 09-01-2016, 11:59 AM
RE: Only Two More Years Of Marv? - Gohards - 09-01-2016, 12:09 PM
RE: Only Two More Years Of Marv? - Derrick - 09-01-2016, 04:04 PM