Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Labor Day by the numbers: Americans can’t stop, won’t stop working
Lots of spin in both directions.  

Hear is my take on the numbers.  It is not just about the current numbers.  It is the trends.  

Overall worldwide wealth is increasing.  Because of increases in technology and population the the world is producing more and more wealth each year.  If we continue along the current trends the middle class will disappear and the United States will be reduced to a plutocracy where a very small percentage control all the wealth and the current middle class will be consumed back into the lower class.

I don't want the United States to end up like that. The idea that the the middle class should work harder for less when overall wealth is growing is heading down a dangerous path.

The top 1% are not making millions.  About $400K a year gets you into the top 1%.  But they control one-fifth of the total adjusted gross income of the U.S.  Some of them will cry about paying more than their "fair share", but they define "fair share" as taxing the poorest of the poor at the same rate as people making almost half a million a year.

The wealthy should be willing to pay a little more in order to live in a safe healthy country.  And they are not going to leave just based on cost of living.  The rich live where they enjoy living.  If cost of living determined where the wealthy lived then I would be surrounded by millionaires here in eats Tennessee.  Rich Americans don't want to move away to other countries.

The problem is that so many people people think that living in government housing on food stamps and a couple of hundred dollars a month is so awesome that no one in that position ever wants to better himself.  The truth is that it sucks to be poor, and very few people start out satisfied to live their entire life in poverty.  

I don't deny that there is a certain percentage of shifty, criminal, stupid, and just plain lazy people who settle into that lifestyle.  I have dealt with that type in my job for many years, and I even have some family members that could be poster material for lazy white trash.  But punishing those people more does not create jobs or raise the quality of the country.  We need to invest the government money into programs to help the lower and middle class instead of just giving the poorest of the poor more cash.

Uh, what was the original point again?

Oh yeah.  People should not have to work harder for less when the overall wealth is growing.  Tax the rich a little more and spend the money better.  

"America.  Not Bad, But Trending That Way!"

Messages In This Thread
RE: Labor Day by the numbers: Americans can’t stop, won’t stop working - fredtoast - 09-06-2016, 02:07 PM